Sunday, June 5, 2011

Nailed to the Cross

Some of you may be memorizing Colossians along with Ann Voskamp this year. I can't begin to put into words how this has changed me. Even in the first chapter and a half, there are so many verses that I've just read over and haven't really taken up as my own, but once they are tucked into my heart, they begin to pervade my thoughts and encourage me throughout long days or in situations out of my control.

This past week we memorized Colossians 2:13 and 14.

When you were dead in your sins and in the uncircumcision of your flesh, God made you alive with Christ. He forgave us all our sins, having canceled the charge of our legal indebtedness, which stood against us and condemned us; he has taken it away, nailing it to the cross.

God's sacrifice is incomprehensible to me, and there is nothing I can do to earn it. All I can offer Him is a grateful heart and the broken pieces of of my life that only He can make into the beautiful mosaic of His grace.

Of course, these verses immediately bring to mind the haunting hymn entiteld "It is Well with My Soul."



My sin--Oh the bliss of this glorious thought!--

My sin, not in part but the whole,

Is nailed to His cross

And I bear it no more.

Praise the Lord,

Praise the Lord, O my soul!



It is well.









No comments: