Friday, July 23, 2010

Summer Reading

One thing I love about summer is the extra time available for reading. Are there any readers out there who feel like you there are "so many books, so little time"? During the school year, I read, but in the summer, I READ. I enjoy getting up early to brew a pot of coffee, sit in my easy chair with my Bible and stack of books. In the morning I generally read my Bible and a Bible-study book of some sort, journaling along with it. And on days when we don't have an extra-busy morning schedule, I read a little more from books listed below.

I know, I know, it doesn't sound very productive to sit around and read, but summer is my time to catch up on things I want to learn for myself. I view it as part of my job description to research and learn. And what's wrong with having fun along the way?





This summer I've reading a lot about...well, reading. Reading aloud to be more specific. These books are ones I've read or I'm working on now.


The Read-Aloud Handbook shares studies showing the difference reading aloud to children can make in their lives. Mr. Trelease also lists excellent books that children love. (I LOVE book lists.)










Reading Magic is a great handbook on how to read-aloud, how to bring excitement to the reading adventure.









What to Read When not only has great book lists for appropriate ages, but also what books are "right" for certain occasions, such as going to the doctor, losing a tooth, the first day of school, the death of a grandparent, the birth of a sibling and on and on.


Honey for a Child's Heart is an invaluable resource for families in love with reading. Gladys Hunt offers a Christian perspective on this key building block of family life.




Those who love Honey for a Child's Heart will enjoy Honey for a Woman's Heart. I haven't started it yet but the subtitle tells why I am excited to read it: Growing Your World through Reading Great Books.
When I began researching curriculum for the coming school year, I fell in love with My Father's World curriculum. On researching further, I found that the program incorporates a lot of Charlotte Mason's methods of "the gentle art of learning." A Charlotte Mason Companion has been a treasure to me as I work toward understanding this way of education. Charlotte Mason's methods incorporate a lot of reading aloud from living books, many of which are listed in the books above...especially, Honey for the Child's heart.




For the Children's Sake was one of the first books written during the revival of Charlotte Mason's teaching methods in the last several decades. She offers great insight into practically applying the methods in home education. As a side note, the author is the daughter of Francis and Edith Schaeffer.

Speaking of Edith Schaeffer, I currently have The Hidden Art of Homemaking checked out.

No comments: