Friday, October 29, 2010






In case you can't tell, Madeline is thrilled to be mobile--all over the house, she is!
I didn't realize until today that October is Spina Bifida Awareness Month. Erin at Tear & Mend so sweetly reminded us of all the many families out there who face a seemingly devastating diagnosis. One in a thousand (or so) babies are diagnosed with SB, and approximately half of those babies are aborted before their parents have the chance to realize that these babies are WORTH IT (as Erin said).
Being decidedly pro-life, Glen and I never considered or wanted to end my pregnancy. However, I do remember in that first rough day thinking that I could understand a little more why some mama's might consider it. It's terrifying to wonder what extreme difficulties your little one might go through. Today I ran across a blog written by a mother who struggled intensely with her decision. This was one of the most tear-jerking and eye-opening posts I've come across, and it hits so close to home, knowing the uncertainties that come with a spina bifida diagnosis. Also addressed are the varying reactions she received in response to her honesty and vulnerability. If you have the chance, stop by and celebrate her decision of life. Then continue to pray for peace for her and her family as she walks through the weeks and years ahead.
Today I can't imagine my life without Madeline, special needs and all. I wrote last year, "What did I do to deserve this?" Through ups and downs, challenges and victories, one smiley and determined little girl brings joy to our home every day, and I wouldn't want it any other way.

3 comments:

Kirsten said...

That was beautiful. I love your smiley little girl an awful lot and I'm so very glad I get to know her.

Esther Ruth said...

Hello, I have been blessed by reading some of your blog posts before. I thought you may be interested in a Christmas guidebook that I am offering for just .99 cents:

http://celebratechristmasguide.com/

Here is a video ad: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEbkggMRllo

and a fb page: http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Celebrate-Christmas-Guide/147336585312239

and lastly a blog where I am currently offering a giveaway of some Advent resources: http://celebratechristmasguide.blogspot.com/2010/11/advent-giveaway.html The contest is through this Saturday.

Thanks for looking! Blessings to you!

Monica said...

Your daughters are beautiful! What an encouraging post. Thanks