Thursday, June 12, 2008

Grandma Satterfield

Some of you already know that my Grandma Satterfield passed away on Saturday. Ever since she fell and broke her hip earlier this year, she's been going downhill fast. Somehow in all the busyness of the funeral, etc, I had forgotten to take time to really think about what she must be feeling right now, to see Jesus face to face and to reunite with Grandpa after 16 years. When I really stop to realize that she's truly walking on those streets of gold that are way more than just a nice little cliche, it kind of puts everything else into perspective.
Before, I forget, thanks, Mark, for the picture. I lifted it from your blog. For anyone who knows my cousin Mark Hoch and would like to see his blog, go to
Ever since we knew that Grandma may not last the year out, we planned to used Glen's bereavement time go home to PA, but when it actually happened, Glen discovered that he does not get
off for the grandparent of his spouse. And since he doesn't get new vacation time until July, it made it impossible for him to go. So I flew home Saturday evening and came back Wednesday morning. That was ever so much easier than driving, and though I missed them terribly, it was nice not to have to worry about little girls in a funeral home! I really enjoyed having Mom and Dad to myself for a bit. I was doubly glad I went home since all 13 of my Satterfield cousins came in for the funeral. I teased my parents that they just wanted me home to save face, since they would have been the only one without kids! :) Jordan obviously couldn't come clear home from South Dakota with his lovely wife 8 months pregnant!
In other news:
--I got a $300 voucher for Northwest airlines for giving up my seat on the plane from Pittsburgh to Detroit. Had to wait around the airport for a while, but it went very fast, and then I had a direct flight to Indy rather than through Detroit.
--Glen managed well with the girls with the help of all our friends. Alyssa and Kirsten combed hair on Sunday, and Carmen and Lisa kept the girls overnight on Monday and Tuesday nights respectively. Glen had late nights scheduled for both. The only hitch was that Olivia threw up in the night for no apparent reason. Carmen wasn't going to tell us, but one of the kids did! :)
--I am officially done with school now until after the baby comes. I'm not sure how soon I'll be able to start back in, but hopefully before too many months go by.
--Carli asked me today when she would get baptized.
--Olivia just poked her fingers into the chocolate pie I made for my chocolate loving friend. Sorry, Alyssa, I guess it'll have to be another day.
--Alyssa is throwing a baby shower for me! She's so sweet. And what really "warmed my heart" is that her mom is coming from Columbus, OH, to help her with it, and because she wanted to for me. I've only met here a couple of times, but she's so sweet! Of course, I know that probably any excuse to spend time with her daughter will do.
Well, I can't think of anything else at the moment, but I'm sure that I'm leaving something out.
Hugs to you all,


Anonymous said...

It sounds like it was a week filled with emotional ups and downs. I am very sorry for your loss.

Mark Hoch said...

It was really nice to get to see you again. The girls really enjoyed getting to know you as well. Glad you made it home safe and we are praying for you in the last weeks of your pregnancy. Keep us posted. Susan

danaeyoung said...

Sorry about your grandma.
How are you guys doin?
Give Carli and Olivia hugs from me!